2004 Installation: A Light Crescendo
York St Mary’s opened its doors as a contemporary art venue in 2004 with A Light Crescendo. The exhibition on the theme of light featured work by acclaimed contemporary artists including Langlands and Bell, Lawrence Weiner, Gary Webb, Jaume Plensa, Angela Bulloch, David Batchelor and Michelangelo Pistoletto.
It set out to establish connections connections between the building, a former church with fine illuminated windows and text engravings, and a range of art works using light, neon, projections, highly-coloured or reflective surfaces and glass.
Weiner and Webb created new works specifically for the exhibition and Langlands and Bell, Plensa and Pistoletto exhibited new works. The exhibition was curated by Paul Bradley.
- York Museums Trust announces appointment of a new Chief Executive
- York Museums Trust announces move of CEO Reyahn King to a new post at National Trust for Scotland
- York Museums Trust invitation to tenders
- Former director of the National Railway Museum and London Transport Museum joins York Museums Trust Board of Trustees
- UK premiere for Van Gogh: The Immersive Experience